Wednesday, June 16, 2010

GOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact that I have Mexican blood running through my veins technically means I should know everything
there is to know about Futbol (Soccer). Now I can't in good judgement call myself a Futbol aficionado.
What I can and will argue is that when a goal is scored and the Sportscaster screams GOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL,
(this can be drawn out for a couple minutes) I can't help but get excited like all Futbol Aficionados do!



This Saturday started out like many Saturday's do at Casa Ashe. I whipped up some breakfast burritos,
drank coffee and ate while watching ESPN. The plan for the day was to drive to Asheville,
maybe watch a movie and eat some Sushi.
After catching the World Cup bug we decided we would go to the Bier Garden
and watch the Inglaterra vs. EEUU game.
On the ride over we were discussing the fact that we don't get to experience the hoopla caused by hometown teams.
(let's face it.... people aren't rushing to Whitmire Stadium).
Travis hoped that Ashevillians were out supporting the USA team and that we would get to witness
the madness that a win or goal would cause. After parking, we found our way into the bar,
enjoyed a cold refreshing beer and came to the conclusion that we were about to experience the "hoopla".
105.9 The Mountain was broadcasting from the bar and was inviting the crowd to
enter a drawing for Futbol Team Jerseys.
Caught up in the moment, I approached the table and filled out 2 drawing tickets.
We were then instructed to the back of the bar where the tickets were being turned in.
There we had to kick a soccer ball past a girl who was "the goalie".
As I line up for my shot, she tells me to keep it low, like I can control my footwork.
Well I kicked the ball and it ricocheted between two tables and didn't even get close to the goal.
I was embarrassed to say the least. Travis of course makes the goal.
The game was exciting, but watching the crowd's reaction to the game's play by play awesome.
During Half-Time the drawing began and get this, my name was the first one picked!
I never win anything! I ran over to the table and picked out my jersey.
I was torn between the Mexico Jersey (for obvious reasons) and the USA Jersey.
Since we were there watching the USA game it seemed fitting that I grab that one.
A few names later Travis gets picked, luckily the Mexico Jersey was still available so he snatched it up.
When the game ended we were definitely "day drunk" and ready for some food!



1 comment:

  1. We missed you guys Saturday at the waterpark! It was fun - hope you guys can come with us in August.

    It sounds like that you had fun watching the game. Way to go on winning a jersey! I never win either!

    ReplyDelete